Pipenv is an experimental project that aims to bring the best of all packaging worlds to the Python world. It harnesses Pipfile, pip, and virtualenv into one single toolchain. It features very pretty terminal colors.
It automatically creates and manages a virtualenv for your projects, as well as adds/removes packages from your Pipfile as you install/uninstall packages. The lock command generates a lockfile (Pipfile.lock).
- Automatically finds your project home, recursively, by looking for a Pipfile.
- Automatically generates a Pipfile, if one doesn't exist.
- Automatically generates a Pipfile.lock, if one doesn't exist.
- Automatically creates a virtualenv in a standard location (project/.venv).
- Automatically adds packages to a Pipfile when they are installed.
- Automatically removes packages from a Pipfile when they are un-installed.
- Also automatically updates pip.
The main commands are install, uninstall, and lock, which generates a Pipfile.lock. These are intended to replace $ pip install usage, as well as manual virtualenv management.
☤ Basic Concepts
- A virtualenv will automatically be created, when one doesn't exist.
- When no parameters are passed to install, all packages specified will be installed.
- When no parameters are passed to uninstall, all packages will be uninstalled.
- To initialize a Python 3 virtual environment, run $ pipenv --three first.
- To initialize a Python 2 virtual environment, run $ pipenv --two first.
- Otherwise, whatever $ which python will be the default.
☤ Other Commands
- shell will spawn a shell with the virtualenv activated.
- run will run a given command from the virtualenv, with any arguments forwarded (e.g. $ pipenv run python).
- check asserts that PEP 508 requirements are being met by the current environment.
$ pipenv Usage: pipenv [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]... Options: --where Output project home information. --bare Minimal output. --three / --two Use Python 3/2 when creating virtualenv. --version Show the version and exit. --help Show this message and exit. Commands: check Checks PEP 508 markers provided in Pipfile. install Installs a provided package and adds it to... lock Generates Pipfile.lock. run Spans a command installed into the... shell Spans a shell within the virtualenv. uninstall Un-installs a provided package and removes it... update Updates pip to latest version, uninstalls all... $ pipenv --where Pipfile found at /Users/kennethreitz/repos/kr/pip2/test/Pipfile. Considering this to be the project home. $ pipenv install Creating a virtualenv for this project... ... No package provided, installing all dependencies. Virtualenv location: /Users/kennethreitz/repos/kr/pip2/test/.venv Installing dependencies from Pipfile.lock... ... To activate this project's virtualenv, run the following: $ pipenv shell $ pipenv install pytest --dev Installing pytest... ... Adding pytest to Pipfile's [dev-packages]... $ pipenv lock Assuring all dependencies from Pipfile are installed... Locking [dev-packages] dependencies... Locking [packages] dependencies... Note: your project now has only default [packages] installed. To install [dev-packages], run: $ pipenv init --dev $ pipenv install --dev Pipfile found at /Users/kennethreitz/repos/kr/pip2/test/Pipfile. Considering this to be the project home. Pipfile.lock out of date, updating... Assuring all dependencies from Pipfile are installed... Locking [dev-packages] dependencies... Locking [packages] dependencies... Note: your project now has only default [packages] installed. To install [dev-packages], run: $ pipenv install --dev Installing dependencies from Pipfile.lock... ... $ pipenv uninstall No package provided, un-installing all dependencies. Found 25 installed package(s), purging... ... Environment now purged and fresh! $ pipenv shell Spawning virtualenv shell (/bin/zsh). (test)$
$ pip install pipenv